Sunday 28 July 2013

Microdermal Removal

I am absolutely in love with microdermals. I have had three so far, one on my throat area and two on the back of my neck in a vertical fashion. I've found these piercings to be the easiest ones to heal besides my tongue piercing. Unfortunately, I knocked my throat microdermal on Saturday night and had to sadly resort to removing the thing myself.

I had the microdermal implanted in January of this year just to give a time frame.

Here is a picture of my throat taken earlier tonight. The area surrounding the microdermal had become red and stung quite a bit, appearing to be slightly bruised and looking like a rash. The foot or base of the microdermal was actually poking up out of the skin, so the microdermal was diagonally facing downwards :( 

I used a few things to pull the microdermal out of my throat... I guess here is a DIY of sorts to help if you absolutely need it taken out and cannot get to a shop. I want to stress that I am NOT a licensed piercer-I simply had to take it out since piercings shops here are not open on Sundays or Mondays ;/


VISIT A PIERCER TO HAVE IT REMOVED PROPERLY. 

You'll Need: 
-Savlon (or antiseptic spray)
-Tweezers
-Cotton pads
-Gauze + tape
You have to understand that removing your microdermal will not be fun. I've heard of some just popping out, but it depends on the level of rejection your microdermal is at. I still had all three circles connected with skin to my actual skin-making it difficult to pull out with tweezers.

1. Sterilize everything. Don't use cotton pads that have been laying around, try to use ones from the package and wipe everything off using a clean cloth or paper towel. Wash and sterilize tweezers and consider using gloves or washing hands several times before starting.

2. Massage the skin around the piercing, gently pushing the microdermal base in the direction it is already rejecting. Since my rejecting microdermal was facing upwards I pushed the base section still submerged in my skin upwards. I did this to mainly ease the piercing naturally out of my skin and to also make my skin more "loose" in that area. Consider massaging the area in the shower or running warm water over the area in a gentle stream or by patting with a cloth if alternative method is desired.

3. I grabbed my tweezers which I properly sterilized and began to slowly tug at the piercing. The sensation is that similar to when you have the piercing put in-it feels like a sort of light burning feeling with a little bit of stinging tenderness.

4. I really began alternating between massaging the skin, pushing the base upwards and lightly pulling the microdermal with my tweezers at this point. I did give it a little tug eventually and the jewellery actually just popped out. The total process probably took me an hour or so, so don't feel like because the jewellery hasn't popped out in ten minutes you're doing something wrong.

5. Apply pressure with cotton pads to the area, making sure to clean up blood if any is present.

6. Gently wash the area and dry with paper towel by dabbing the exposed wound.

7. Spray once with Savlon spray (careful might sting) 

8. Bandage with gauze and leave the area ALONE.

Once you're done being bandaged up like me, take care of your new wound appropriately, and perhaps mourn the loss of your beautiful piercing :(




No comments:

Post a Comment