Saturday 13 July 2013

Cheesy Bacon(optional) Potato Side Dish

Fiancé and I got a little hungry so for dinner I made a vegetarian (meat for me) potato dish that was entirely cooked on the stove top :) So excited to get a kitchen again once we're back in the UK. But anyways, recipe for now......



Ingredients:
  • Sliced (thinly) potatoes 
  • Cooking oil/cooking spray for heating pan
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1/2 onion 
  • 1 clove of garlic 
  • 3/4 cup sliced (thinly) mushrooms 
  • Salt 
  • Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme and Basil spice mix
  • 1 cup cheese (optional) 


Preheat stove top with a giant pan (we used a wok) using oil or cooking spray on low-medium heat, enough to cook through your potatoes. We purchased pre-peeled and pre-cooked potatoes that needed reheating but feel free to use your own for this section. Cook potatoes in giant pan on medium-low or however you would like to cook thoroughly. 


 Dice up 1 clove of garlic very finely and into small pieces. Cut onion into similar thin chunks and proceed to slice up mushrooms and peppers (preferably cube shaped).




Once potatoes have cooked fully, add garlic and onion into the pan and stir in well, allowing to rest and seep flavour into potatoes. Let sit for 5 minutes on low simmer. Next, add in peppers and mushrooms and additional veg to the pan and mix in well, heating pan enough for peppers to become soft (cooked) and mushrooms to turn a darker brown colour. 




Once everything is in the pan, add a liberal amount of salt to taste and a mixed spice bag I've made and will possibly explain what I did to make it into your mixture. The mix includes about a pinch of basil, thyme, rosemary and oregano. You can add a pinch of each separate if you don't feel like making a bag of spices!






Next, I heated up a separate pan and cooked some bacon that I wanted to add to my plate. My Fiancé and I obviously have different dietary restrictions (him being a veg) so I often split the meal and add things for him or myself according to how we feel.



 After frying the bacon to a nice crispy texture, I dried off the excess grease with a paper towel and broke up the bacon with my hands, adding it to my separate heated pan for my non veggie meal. The veggie alternative is already done at this point, however, cheese can be sprinkled lightly on top to add something extra. I then stirred everything together, tasting once again and re-spicing and plated.

Here's a photo of him way too excited to have food made twice in one day ;) 




No comments:

Post a Comment